Sunday, March 19, 2017

Book Recommendation: The Black Prism (Lightbringer) by Brent Weeks


">

This is something I will be doing occasionally as a way to earn some money, which is recommend stories (in any form of media) that I have found particularly admirable. Please follow the link to Amazon ( http://amzn.to/2mKz0EY ) to see if this is something you are interested in. Also read my opinion in the following extremely informative paragraphs. Also, Wednesday I will post a new chapter to my second story entitled The Iron Corpse!

This is a series that really influenced my ideas for The Shading. first off, the magic systems used in the books are fairly similar. Both are light based, though I will admit that I found this series while looking for a book that used light for magic as a sort of research. As time goes on and you are able to read more into my story (as well as Weeks' story) I hope you can see the similarities and differences.

What I loved: Weeks has a clear understanding of what it takes to lead countries and armies. he is able to describe in-depth responsibilities while capturing your attention. It is such a brilliant balance of detail and keeping the story flowing. He establishes complex governments, complex disagreements, and complex magic systems and explains them in ways that are straight forward to understand. There is a fantastic build to his story, so much so that I am surprised at how invested I find myself. His characters are well developed and strong, so much so that I could see many of them being the stars of their own story.

What I Wanted More: Weeks seems undecided if he wants this to read more as an epic fantasy or a YA novel. And that would be my only "complaint", yet I find myself immersed in his writing and loving it, plus his success makes me thing maybe he is onto something and the amateur writer you are currently reading needs to learn from the professionals.

Really I am very impressed with this series. I am just finishing the second book (I believe that there are four) and I fully intend on finishing the series. So if you are interested in going on an en-LIGHT-ening journey (light...get it?) please follow the link and enjoy! http://amzn.to/2mKz0EY

No comments:

Post a Comment