Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Brody Michael Couldn’t Sleep











Brody Michael Couldn’t Sleep
By Bennion and Tayler Ellsworth

Brody Michael couldn’t sleep
“Don’t make me sleep, mama! Please! Please! Please!”

“You have to sleep,” Mama said with a smile,
“Now close your eyes and rest a while.”

“I don’t wanna sleep, just because it’s not day!
I wanna be with you and together we’ll play!”

“Well,” Mama said sliding in close,
“Playing with me isn’t bad I suppose.
But what could we do that would be so fun?
All the light is gone and away with the sun.”

Brody thought, then decided with a snort,
‘We can play all the different kind of sports!
We can run and score goals
And hit balls in the holes!

We can jump! We can climb!
Until the buzzer has chimed,
We will play over and again,
Until crowned as the champions!”

Mother sighed and she laughed,
“That sounds like a blast!
What fun we would have!
Now think even harder,
let your mind wander farther,
I’m sure we could do more,
Even more than before.

Brody Michael closed his eyes and thought.

I would be a great knight,
Armor shining all white
With sword, shield, and might
Against a dragon I’d fight!

His scales are spooky deep green
eyes burnt red and ever so mean
Momma, he’s taller than treetops
On his hind legs he hip-hops
Destroying the countryside-
and with his great wings he flies!

You, fair lady, are trapped In the tower
But I promised I never would cower
Hand over hand, up the wall I would crawl
To respond to your call, even though I am small!

I would raise my mighty sword
And we could never be bored!
Mamma laid on her back
And hands clapping, clap! Clap!
“This boy I adore!
All I want is more!”

Brody Michael sighed, closed and rubbed his eyes, and thought…

I would be the captain of the ship Leopold
With my crew on the search for lost gold
Against octopus, crocodile and shark,
And against the wild ocean we would embark

We would sail far and wide
With the wind and stars as our guides
Dodging crashing waves and swordfish
Searching for our hearts true wish.

And there to our pleasure is the deep buried treasure!
Waving our flag with a skull and our gold stored in the hull,
We take to the seas, hair blowing in the breeze

Momma, with an eye patch and peg leg, you’d be my first mate
If only, just only, you let me stay up late
What say ye, shipmate?

While stroking his hair, and admiring his flair,
Momma kissed Brody Michael, her eyes all a-sparkle.
“Well that sure convinced me. Though I do want to see
Your minds next big leap before you go to sleep.”

Brody Michael closed and rubbed his eyes, stretched, yawned, and thought...

Momma what if I took you space?
Against blobby aliens we would race.
Looping around planets and stars,
And waving to the audience on Mars.

We would find ourselves in the middle of a dangerous space fight,
the Blobs and their lasers against the tall ones with spikes.
With jet packs and masks, and shields and gas
We’d have to dodge, dip, skip, and be fast.

We would travel in floating space cities
All covered in lights and and strange oddities
The aliens with their colorfully shaped bodies.
We would be good pals with the 36 eyed Bullbitery

I’d make friends with new creatures,
Learn their games and fun features
With all this travel we would be free!
Why sleep when we could live this dream?


Mama yawned and stretched, and all together felt blessed.
Her son’s mind was so mighty, his thoughts seemed like a party.
“One more scene,” So gently she pleaded. Just one more adventure is all that she needed.

Brody Michael closed and rubbed his eyes, stretched and yawned, and laid his head on his pillow and thought… and Brody Michael thought… and Brody Michael dreamed.

1 comment:

  1. My FAVORITE! It teaches parents AND children and encourages imagination. Very good.

    ReplyDelete